My interests in mind, language, and the Zhuangzi have led me to devote much attention to the philosophy of the Mozi, as understanding Mohism is a prerequisite for understanding many of the background assumptions of early Chinese thought. As a result, Mohism itself has ended up becoming one of my major research areas. My publications in this area include:
The Essential Mozi: An Annoted Translation (under review).
The Mozi and Just War Theory in Pre-Han Thought. Journal of Chinese Military History 5.2 (2016), 135–175.
Rationalism and Anti-rationalism in Later Mohism and Zhuangzi. Forthcoming in Having a Word with Angus Graham: On the First Quarter Century of his Immortality, Roger Ames and Carine Defoort, eds.
The Mohist Conception of Reality. In Chinese Metaphysics and its Problems, ed. Chenyang Li and Franklin Perkins. Cambridge University Press, 2015, 69–84.
Truth in Mohist Dialectics. Journal of Chinese Philosophy 39.3 (2012): 351–368.
The Philosophy of the Mozi: The First Consequentialists. New York: Columbia University Press, 2016.
- Mohism and Motivation. In C. Fraser, D. Robins, and T. O'Leary, eds., Ethics in Early China (HKU Press, 2011), 73–90.
- The Ethics of the Mohist "Dialogues." In The Mozi as an Evolving Text: Different Voices in Early Chinese Thought, Carine Defoort and Nicolas Standaert, eds., 175–204. Brill: 2013.
- Mohism and Self-Interest. Journal of Chinese Philosophy 35.3 (2008): 437–54.
- More Mohist Marginalia: A Reply to Makeham on Later Mohist Canon and Explanation B 67. Journal of Chinese Philosophy and Culture 2 (2007): 227–59.
- Mohist Canons, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (revised May 2009).
Tang Junyi on Mencian and Mohist Conceptions of Mind. In Contemporary Confucians of the Chinese University, Cheng Chung Yi, ed. New Asia Academic Bulletin 19 (October 2006): 203–33.
- Introduction: Later Mohist Logic, Ethics and Science After 25 Years. From the reprint edition of A. C. Graham, Later Mohist Logic, Ethics, and Science (Hong Kong: Chinese University Press, 2003).
- Mohism, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (revised 2015).
- Three Textual Studies of the Mozi (1997–98).
Keywords: Mozi, Mohist philosophy, Mohist ethics, Mohist moral psychology, 墨子, 墨家哲學, 墨家心性論